Meeting in August!

The First Giles Group meeting for 2021 will be held on 9th August, the second Monday of the month, at the Community Centre in Alresford, from 2pm to approx 3.30pm.

This marks the re-start of our monthly meetings, but this first meeting will not have a Guest speaker: instead we will explain what has happened over the last 15 months, and discuss what our members would like to see as activities for the future.

There will also be a short slide show showing a selection of photos of some previous Giles outings, and some amusing kids with animals/pets pictures.

Plus teas as usual!

The Town Minibus will be available for anyone who needs transport one way or both ways, with collections starting at 1pm from the Meryon Road garage. The bus fare will be £2 this year, for the return trip.

Please advise numbers wanting the bus to Nick Denbow, before Monday 9th

Contact data for Nick Denbow (Giles Group Secretary) is secretary@gilesgroup.org.uk, or phone 01962 734824 (leave a message if not available)

[Plus don’t forget the Tuesday coffee morning sessions have restarted as normal, every week on a Tuesday 10.30-12 o’clock, with the doors wide open and small tables to spread us all out!]

Giles to re-open on 20 July

In common with other social groups for the elderly, following the UK Government requests, the Giles Group closed all operations as from April 2020.

The drop-in coffee mornings are planned to re-start on Tuesday 20 July 2021, in the Community Centre.

Whether subsequent monthly meetings and coffee mornings will continue will be reviewed next month, as currently there is no information about when the town Minibus will be operating again.

Nick Denbow, 734824

How we were…back when?

In the earlier days of the Giles Group history – for after all it has been going for nearly 30 years – there was a Group photo taken by Brian Champion, in the Community Centre lower hall, showing the Group of members one Summer, assembled for their “Mad Hatter’s Tea Party”.

The sober photo shows a group of very respectable elderly citizens:

Can you recognise anyone?

On the back row, starting from the left, we have identified the following:

Liz Lawrence – Unknown – Mary Keer – Unknown – Brian Purkiss – Unknown – Geoff Sayer – Unknown – Tessa Purkiss

Then in the front row, starting again from the left:

Mr Lawrence – Unknown – Molly Cook – Maureen Proudfoot – Fabia Wrigley – Unknown – Monica Dore.

Then approximately across the middle row mainly of ladies we have:

Unknown – Gladys Ashe – Unknown – Unknown – Joan Ogilvie – Peter Middleton – Unknown – Nan McNamara

After the formal photo there was another, dressed for the Mad Hatter’s tea party:

Same people, different hats.

When was this picture taken? It was a long time ago, the Community Centre walls were papered, and had no tapestry or pictures on there. So probably pre-2000? If anyone can tell us when, or add names, please do!

Giles AGM for 2019

The AGM for the Giles Group was held on 10th February 2020, in the Community Centre. The meeting was well attended, by about 30 members. The year was very positive, with many new members joining, primarily from McCarthy & Stone’s new development: the total of active members is now over 40.  The funding received at the year end from the Co-op boosted our finances for the next 12 months, and attendance at the meetings and the coffee mornings are at record levels: possibly boosted by the cakes at the meetings, and the Tesco bread at the coffee mornings.

The financial report is as below:

2019 FY Giles results

The full AGM minutes are as below:

The GILES GROUP AGM 2020

Minutes of the AGM held on 10th February 2020 in the Community Centre

The meeting was opened by Patrick Hartley, the Chairman: copies of the 2019 AGM minutes were on each table, as well as copies of the financial summary accounts for the year to January 31st. There was a good turnout, with around 30 members attending.

2019 Chairman’s Report: Patrick Hartley, the Chairman, reported a good year in general. The only hiccup was possibly from the problems with finding drivers and helpers to man the Mini-Bus – but with help from the Pigs and Margot Power we have kept the outings going, all thanks to them, and we now have Ray as an allocated driver, which is excellent.

The Coffee mornings regularly see 12 sitting round the tables, and the free Tesco bread deliveries have been well received. New members have been streaming in, from the arrivals at Wayfarer’s Place, recruited by Una!

Generally the Giles Group has been doing well, over the last year, with a variety of different talks, and this seems set to continue for 2020. Patrick expressed his thanks to all the Giles committee and other helpers, like Gina and Audrey Chalk, for their support in all the meetings.

2019 AGM The Secretary, Nick Denbow, then read a summary of the minutes of the 2019 AGM, and asked for these to be accepted by the meeting. Proposer was Tessa Purkiss, seconded by Paul Gunner: the vote in favour was unanimous.

Treasurer’s Report: Clive Earthy presented his financial report, thanking Carole Cook for auditing them, and Jackie for typing them. The total income was up £230, mainly thanks to a generous donation from the Co-op of nearly £800. Without this the outlook would have been a lot different. The expenditure was largely the same as the previous year, where we had cut back significantly on speaker’s fees.

Without the Co-op windfall we would have faced a poor outlook, so with relatively fixed outgoings, we need to boost the income. It was proposed that we increase the membership fees by £2 to £17 per annum, and also seek further NATC funding for our activity later in the current year. The regular raffle at the meeting would be reviewed, possibly to have fewer prizes, of a higher value.

The report was proposed by Clive, seconded by Nick Denbow, and passed with a unanimous vote of the members present.

AOB

Three of the Giles Committee members, Patrick, Diann and Jeanne, stepped down from the Committee and offered themselves for re-election. There were no other nominations for the Committee, so these three were re-elected.

Ann Holliday, on behalf of the members, thanked the Committee and their helpers for their work in making the Giles Group continue to run well.

Jeanne reminded members that the Alison McGregor trip round the Solent is scheduled for the evening of June 15th: with only 12 seats available please book early!

####################################

 

 

Giles Christmas party 2019

The Giles Group of Alresford enjoyed a well-attended Christmas party this December, starting with some Carols (and other songs) from the Perins school girls choir, led by their music teacher, Mel Ashford.

IMG_1196x

The event this year brought a successful year to a close, with many new members, and with notable support from the New Alresford Town Council and several of the major supermarkets. In particular Tesco in Broad Street has made regular donations of bakery products via the Giles Tuesday coffee morning, which is then also delivered to Makins Court. In November the Giles Group were delighted to receive a donation from the Co-op National Community Support Fund, which has helped the strained finances. Plus, as seen in the photo above, Sainsburys kindly donated their used Christmas decorations to the Community Centre,which brightened up the meeting room.

After being entertained and even joining in the sing-song with the choir, the Giles members enjoyed some cakes and sausage rolls, contributed by several of the members, plus quite a lot of Mulled wine!

More pictures of the choir and audience follow:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Financial results for 2018

The February 2019 meeting of the Giles Group was also the AGM, where the financial performance over the 2018 year was discussed.

The overall spend for the year was £1115, in fact just £7 less than last year. The income was approx £130 more than in 2017, but this included two separate donations from the New Alresford Town Council, of £325 each – these payments replaced a similar level of support from other bodies, classed as ‘Donations’ in the previous year. Two other sources of revenue were down on 2017, Membership subscriptions were down £40 for the year, and the raffles earned £40 less than in 2017.

The full figures can be seen in the report below.

Scan Giles AGM

The funds carried forward into February 2019, the start of the Group’s next financial year were £1024, which should cover costs for the rest of the year.

25 years in Alresford

The Giles Group has now been established for 25 years in Alresford.

The founder members were mainly women, who saw the need to pass on their knowledge of help and support systems and networks to other disabled people.  Three of these pioneers still live in the Alresford area: Tessa Purkiss, Hazel Worland and Mary Keer. Sadly, in January 2019, Fabia Wrigley finally lost her long fight with Multiple Sclerosis, aged 74, and a Service of Thanksgiving for her life was held in St Johns.

fabia
Fabia Wrigley

The founder members were mainly women, who saw the need to pass on their knowledge of help and support systems and networks to other disabled people.  Three of these pioneers still live in the Alresford area: Tessa Purkiss, Hazel Worland and Mary Keer.

Sadly, in January 2019, Fabia Wrigley finally lost her long fight with Multiple Sclerosis, aged 74, and a Service of Thanksgiving for her life was held in St Johns. Regrettably also, our past Chairman, Brian Purkiss, is no longer attending meetings, having moved to live in a Nursing home locally. The members are grateful for their contributions to establishing and running the Giles Group in Alresford.

 

The Giles Group in 2019

The Giles Group continues the normal schedule of meetings in 2019.

After the successful Christmas party in December, the next Monday afternoon meeting will be on January 14, when Gerald Wyeth from Ropley will discuss “The Life of a Shepherd” – ably assisted by his sheep dog, I am told! All our monthly meetings are on the second Monday in the month – a full listing can be found in the 2019 programme shown elsewhere on this website.

As usual the town Minibus will collect those who have asked for the service, starting at 1pm from Meryon Road, and working round the town from the West. Please stay in your houses and wait to be collected, do not stand outside in the cold! There is a £2 total charge for the Minibus journeys to town and back.

Also on EVERY Tuesday morning throughout 2019, coffees and teas will be available at our small meeting in the Town Hall, to let you take a break from shopping. At the same time, any surplus bread and pastries from the Tesco store are distributed free of charge, when available. This recycling of short dated food has run very successfully for two years, and is continuing: the Giles Group is delighted to help Tesco in this community exercise. Any surplus food remaining at 12 midday when the coffee morning closes is taken to Makins Court.

AGM report 2017

Minutes of the AGM held on 13th February 2017 in the Community Centre

Attendance

Approx 26 members (apologies received from Olive Gillespie, Ann Bravery, Jean Bax, Joan Wimbleton, Joan Mantell)

The meeting was opened by Nick Denbow who read out the 2016 AGM minutes in summary. Copies were also provided at each table. These 2016 minutes were proposed for acceptance by Diana Goulding, seconded by Jeanne Nicholls, and voted as approved.

2016 Report

Nick Denbow as Secretary reviewed the year, which had included some very enjoyable and memorable talks, plus enjoyable events in the garden party and Christmas party. With membership still at around 40, the Group is still active, and not many members have dropped out. The Committee have spent a lot of time on trying to identify new sources of funding, and two new sources have been approached for 2017.

Treasurer’s Report

Clive Earthy made his report as Treasurer, after thanks to Jackie Earthy for typing and printing the accounts, and to Jenny Hayes for checking them. Copies of the report were available at each table.

The income last year (2016/17) compared to the previous year was much increased. This was because the membership subscriptions were increased to £15 per person, giving a total of £562 (cf £340). Donations at £717 included two external grants, one from NATC for £350, and one from the Pigs for £145: but the largest proportion (£222) came from the members themselves in donations for recycled equipment, and purchases of other aids. The Raffles income increased yet again, to £150 (cf £117). All Social Services and HCC or similar funding has disappeared. So total income was £1430, (compared to £638 previously).

Cost totals year to year were up slightly on the previous year, (£1335 cf £1153 last year), where we had committed to some expensive speakers, giving their fees at £175 (cf £98), and a more expensive garden party + Christmas party at £270 total (cf £142): this was what the Pigs donated the £145 to support. Clive did note that a lot of mulled wine was consumed at Christmas. With £713 in the Bank, the group financial projection was reasonable, and better than last year: Clive proposed that the membership fee should remain unchanged.

The Treasurer’s statement and report for 2016/17 was proposed as accepted by Audrey Chalk, seconded by Tessa Purkiss, and agreed in a vote by the meeting.

Chairman’s Summary

Nick Denbow explained that the Chairman, Lin Parker, had resigned in July, and so with Brian Purkiss also stepping down, the Committee had co-opted two new members, Patrick and Angela Hartley, to help with running the Group. This was in accordance with the Giles Constitution – which also requires that three long serving Committee members step down after three years. The three stepping down this year were Nick Denbow, Clive Earthy and Jeanne Nicholls, who all offered themselves for re-election. This was proposed by Una Yeates, and seconded by Wynn Stowell, and the meeting voted to approve this unanimously.

Next it was necessary for the Committee to find a new Chairman and Vice-Chairman: after receiving suggestions and discussing options, the Committee proposed Patrick Hartley as Chairman and Diann Adam as Vice-Chairman. The formal vote was proposed by Nick Denbow and seconded by Clive Earthy, and agreed by the meeting, unanimously.

Thanks were then expressed to Diann, Nan and Gina, as well as Audrey Chalk, for their constant and varied supply of teas and cakes for the meetings, and for the drop-in Tuesdays. Plus a major vote of thanks to Peter Cutler for driving the Minibus. Clive will supply Membership cards for 2017 in return for the new subscriptions, which gives the future schedule of talks.

Members Proposals 

Jeanne Nicholls asked as ever for Member’s suggestions for the Minibus trip destinations: mostly these have concentrated on garden centres, but this next week the destination is Petersfield.

Rosaleen McDonald suggested a possible speaker in Neil Macareth, who had spent some long periods in Nepal with the Gurkhas.

Wynn Stowell expressed her thanks to the Committee for the work they do, on behalf of the Members.

The 2017 accounts are attached below

giles-2016-to-17-accounts